1. Eat protein at every meal, including breakfast.
2. Eliminate wheat- and flour-based products for the nonce . And yes, that definitely includes bread and pasta.
3. Eat unprocessed foods. Ninety percent of what you eat should be a mixture of (in this order of importance) raw vegetables, steamed vegetables, whole grains, lean protein, and perhaps a couple of fruits if necessary.
4. Reduce starch to at least one portion each day , and do not eat that portion during your evening meal. Best choices are beans, sweet potatoes, and oatmeal.
5. Don't overdo fruit: one each day maximum, and only the low-sugar, high-fiber variety. Apples, pears, plums and berries all are good choices. For now, fruit should be eaten alone or with something light, like low fat nuts. Lose the fruit crush completely.
6. Reduce or eliminate dairy for the nonce , especially cow's milk. Exceptions: reasonable amounts of low sugar, fat free yogurt.
7. Lose the booze. Despite what the "studies" say, you lose no health benefits by abandoning alcohol (including wine). there's nothing essential in alcohol that you simply can't get in fruits and vegetables without all the bad side effects that go along side it.
8. Stop using vegetable oils like sunflower, safflower and corn. The supermarket kind is very refined, and it oxidizes easily when heated, contributing to plaque . Use vegetable oil instead, and apply it to food after the food is cooked when possible.
9. Watch which sorts of fat you're eating. the quantity of fat you eat is perhaps smaller than the type of fat you eat. The worst are fried foods, margarine and foods that contain hydrogenized or partially hydrogenized oils. the simplest is omega-3, found in fish and linseed oil .
10. Obsessively drink water: a minimum of 8 ounces for each 20 pounds of bodyweight you're now carrying around, each day. Every day. No excuses.